From Ecotopia Biketour Wiki
Revision as of 08:10, 22 December 2015 by Candid (Created page with "*History: **Twitter was tested for the first time in 2006. **But mainly used during 2007, with some tweaking, to allow multi-person delivery of SMS's while on the road (logist...")
- Twitter was tested for the first time in 2006.
- But mainly used during 2007, with some tweaking, to allow multi-person delivery of SMS's while on the road (logistical coordination).
- In 2008 it was also used as a way of updating a blog, from the SMS sent while riding.
- Also in 2008, after the tour, Twitter stopped delivering SMS' to non-US mobiles... Therefore most of its initial use as a tool was lost.
- From the road it is easy to update these accounts with an SMS to the twitter number (+44 762 4801423) but register the number first with the BT twitter, to instantly update the BT family with the latest campsite of BT.
- However, Twitter has some issues with phone numbers from small countries, and this doesnt update identi.ca the free variant of twitter.
- Therefore, BT can also use ping.fm, which spreads an sms to +447786208201 from a verified mobile number directly to Twitter, Identi.ca and the BT Facebook page.
- The username for twitter and identi.ca is
biketour. For ping.fm it is
- There seems to have been a consensus on Winter Meeting 2013, on not using twitter any longer
(taborda also thinks this is outdated)
To add your phone to our Twitter profile, follow these steps (source) :
- Send a text to +44 762 4801423 with the word START.
- Wait 2 minutes.
- Next, send your username biketour to +44 762 4801423. Do not use @ or quotes. Send our username ONLY.
- Wait 2 minutes after sending your username.
- Next, send our password to the same number. This is case sensitive, so be sure you are sending your password correctly.
- Wait 2 minutes.
- Finally, send the word OK to the same number.
Then, if everything went alright, you can send twitter updates to +44 762 4801423